Wednesday 27 November 2013

Great Harwood to Kijenge Juu Arusha and chip omelette for supper

My journey has taken me from home to Manchester to Amsterdam to Nairobi, border crossing from Kenya into Tanzania then onto Kijenge Juu, Arusha. Kilahia Lodge is a small hotel in a suburb a 20 minute walk into town, lots of dukas-small shops and fundi-workshops making almost everything so it's vibrant and quite noisy but fun.
Reacquainted myself with the joys of riding on a dala dala, not exactly a joy but a cheap way of getting around
Lots of research re looking for a house, met up with some old friends and some new people all doing volunteer work, although \I can't work until I apply for and get my resident visa I have visited my 2 potential places of employment, both doing equally valid work. Have had several discussions with other NGOs who want me to help but I only want to work part time. Also found a clinic for the much needed blood tests, no need to book, just turn up
Chilled out at Meru Lodge for a few hours, watched the zebras and birds, peaceful after the noise of town-Arusha is usually referred to as town
Having been here a week I know that my decision is right to return and do what I can despite the constant power cuts, no coronation street, books costing 2 arms and 3 legs. Looking at starting Swahili lessons in January with a small group of vollies, It's been quite a productive 1st week, lets see what next week brings
 

1 comment:

  1. Hi Dolly,
    I'm glad I found your blog ok. It sounds like you're happy with your move and new life. Sorry I missed your leaving do double booked to go to the theatre and I don't often regret things I do but that is 3 hours I wont get back and I missed you!!!
    Anyway not much going on I'm off sick as had a minor op and can't talk, they checked out why I have a hoarse voice and have decided I have reflux disease which is odd as I didn't even know I had it but they've also taken 2 biopsies so that is why I can't talk apparently it takes a few days to return, The family are loving it. I always thought I was quiet but realise how much I have to say lol. Still I have studying to do and would like to do some sewing and blogging. My blog is called drawingdiva.blogspot not sure if I can comment as that. Ive neglected my blog for ages but may well get back to it this week amongst everything else.
    Well its been really good hearing all your adventures, keep them coming, good luck finding work that suits you and keep us posted

    ReplyDelete