Tuesday 20 May 2014

6 months on


It’s 6 months since I left the UK to start my new life in Tanzania. There have been some highs and one or 2 lows but it is definitely the place that I want to be at this time in my life.
I flew from Manchester to Nairobi, Kenya on 20th November 2013 got a very expensive but worth it private transfer to Arusha, Tanzania on the 21st November 2013 and settled into Kilahia Lodge as I started my search for a house. Thanks to friends in Tz I had several leads, the first place had no garden, I didn’t think that I needed one but looking out at a concrete wall and having nowhere to sit on my days off was not going to happen. I was shown several places too far from the main road/too isolated then I was shown what I called the Mango Tree house-2 bedrooms, secure fence, right price, all ready to sign up but at the 11th hour the owners decided not to let it. Finally I was shown what is now my house above budget, 3 bedrooms rather than 2 but great location and secure. Ironically, it’s next door to Megan’s Resort. Over the past 5 months it has become my home, I am used to it’s quirks, love seeing the trees and hearing the birds in the morning. My friend, who came with me for 3 months left in February, I was grateful for his help but was almost glad when he went as I needed to start my new life on my terms. I then had a great house mate for a month she got transferred to Uganda after a month. In May a young American fellow vollie at the Centre moved in and is  staying until the end of the year. In October I have to decide whether or not to renew my lease for another year, not sure at this stage.
Visas-this has been one of the down sides, I still don’t have my 2 year visa, I have had a 3 month tourist visa, then a 3 month CTA-carrying out temporary assignment but I really need the 2 year class C visa. Hopefully this will happen soon otherwise it’s another CTA
Finance-I underestimated the cost of relocation. I had planned to save ££ before I came but due to Meg spending 2 more years at uni than planned and me being ill for 3 months before I left the UK the savings pot was substantially lower than I’d anticipated. That, having to pay 6 months rent in advance and my pension being paid a month late caused a few stressful moments. I was down to my last £100 when the NHS paid my first pension payment-after many phone calls. Alls well that ends well, everything is now in place and I can sleep peacefully knowing that I can afford to be here
People- I miss friends and family back in the UK emails, Skype and Facebook are not the same as sitting down with a brew putting the world to rights or just having a laugh. I have been away at some important moments in friend’s lives, I’m sorry for that Meg, Gill, Anita, Estelle and Michelle. I have met some great people here but vollie life is transient, people come and go frequently. I have met and said goodbye to some lovely people but it also means that we get to have some great goodbye meals.
Work- I have changed from being a mental health nurse in in-patient services to being a jill of all trades at a day care centre where 22 little people come whilst their mamas work and the cook makes meals for 35 people on charcoal stoves. I try to keep a check on the kid’s health and have been teaching basic first aid to the workers. I have managed to get the toilet refurbished, helped to get some soft play shapes and introduced a cause for concern recording system. There are no down sides to work, I love it
Health-I was pretty ropey when I came here but now I’m fit and well, have lost several kilos due to a healthy diet and walking miles. I can buy antibiotics and almost any medication over the counter. I’m due for a full MOT when I return to the UK in August, hopefully they won’t suggest that I am no longer roadworthy and need to be scrapped.
Over all it’s been a great 6 months, looking forward to new challenges and seeing Walk in Love go from strength to strength

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad that you have no regrets, please keep blogging!

    ReplyDelete