Saturday 8 November 2014

Decisions, decisions, decisions


Decision, Decisions, Decisions
People come into our lives for a reason, we may not always know why or recognise that this is what has happened at the time, some come to test us, some to improve our lives in a greater or lesser way, some so that we can help them. People who know me know that I am pretty much a fatalist, certain things in one’s life are predestined although the way that we arrive there is largely a matter of the choices which we make. I am fortunate to have had many such experiences in the 5 decades which I have been around for and my life is pretty good.
Recently I went to Monduli, a small town an hours drive from Arusha. There I met an amazing woman called mama Junior who has set up an English medium school to educate the local children. She asked the folk what was needed and they all said an English Medium School. Job opportunities are far greater if you can read and write English.. She has used her own land and money but is due to retire from her job as a school inspector soon so will only have her pension to live off. She employs 1 teacher, has had to get rid of the cleaner and cook as she cannot afford them. The 24 kids aged 3-6 pay 20,000 Tsh per month for uji-porridge and to help with the teacher’s salary, the 1st term 70% paid, 2nd, 50%, 3rd only 1 paid, but what should she do? The children need an education. I suggested that she get the parents to cook/clean/garden in rotation therefore reducing their liability for fees and helping her out. This had never occurred to her. She desperately needs a native English speaker to help the kids with their English . Herein lies the dilemma, I am a native English speaker, I was impressed with what she is doing but I have a job which I enjoy and love the people I work with. I went as far as looking at properties in the area but nothing was suitable. Fortunately school closes for December so I have time to think about it. Monduli is 90 minutes by dala dala, the school is not in the centre of town and the road to it in the rainy season would be hell but the kids manage to walk it so that is no excuse. The dala dalas run from 05.30, school starts at 08.00, am I trying to talk myself into a job?
The area has many needs, fortunately there is a government hospital and a Christian clinic so health needs are, at least partially, covered. There are government schools but these are taught in Kiswahili and the need is for the kids to learn English, also the classes can be as big as 80-120.
A friend is looking at a way to help the local Maasai population before harvest time they, like many others, struggle to feed themselves and their children. She made 12 bags of basic items, spoke to a local elder and gave them to the 12 most needy families, he did not take one for himself. She is looking at doing this once or twice weekly with his help so that she can alleviate the hardship in the hunger months
Lots to think about in the next 2 months, I will go again but this time on the dala dala to see how long it takes
Pics from Monduli





 

No comments:

Post a Comment