Thursday 28 August 2014

drival but no pics, sorry

I've been back in Blighty for 6 days, managed to lose my phone en route but it was a cheapie with 2 quid credit on it so I'm not going to lose any sleep over it.
The journey was pretty uneventful, taxi to the bus, bus to the border, duly handed over £10 for my transit visa, dropped off at the airport and a taxi to the hotel. Fortunately I'd asked a Kenyan on the bus how much the taxi should be, they asked for 1500 KES and settled for 600, the advice was 5-600 so I did OK. The 'hotel' was a converted block of flats on a housing estate,no sign posts, a 6 lane motorway close by with 2 extra lanes either side with no visible means of crossing. The receptionists were less than helpful although the bed was clean and the shower very welcome.
Went for a walk to try to find some nourishment, found a decent looking local restaurant, african and european dishes. Things were looking up, no they weren't! 'Sorry no samosas, beef, omelette, rice, only chicken and chips' It was edible and cheap, the bananas and watermelon slice bought from a duka were better
Breakfast in the morning was inedible, dry sweet bread, the instant nescafe was ok bought to the room on a tray which they then took away so food was balanced on the bed. Transport was late going to the airport but I shared with a young American guy who became my nephew for an hour so that we could queue separately for checks and passport control then join each other at the front of the queues talking about non existent family members who would (not) be waiting for us. Worked well, I'll probably never see him again but who knows?
Life has been hectic since Friday, loved meeting up with some very special people, more meet ups to come. Oh how I have missed these people. I have some lovely folk back in Arusha but our memories are recent, with Gill, Tracey, Wendy, Lou, Rachel, Jill, Mags and Lesley I can say 'do you remember when?' which then leads on to other memories. Who needs a gold ring when I have these diamonds in my life? I am a very lucky person indeed
Sorting the house out has been relatively easy, I really don't need 'stuff'. I've been putting photos onto the computer and keeping only very special things. I am limiting myself to 1 large box. Plates can be replaced but a cushion which Meg made many years ago can't.
Hope to be able to post pics next time as I do now have a camera, no idea how it works though
I did get my bag of walkers cheese and onion crisps, they were pretty good too
Bye for now and thanks for reading x

No comments:

Post a Comment