Wednesday 12 March 2014

Girl (woman) Power

                                                      Girl (Woman) Power
This has been a big week for the girls. Mama Angel came to the centre because she had not eaten all day and was worried that her milk would dry up. She was given money for food and a 10,000 shilling loan to start a vegetable business. 2 weeks later that 10,000 is 30,000 enabling her to buy more vegetables, Angel is being cared for at the centre and mama comes frequently to feed her. At this rate we will be borrowing money from Mama Angel, Go Girl!
Mama Amina has 2 children at the centre, she makes mandazi for a living-doughnuts and keeps an eye on a shop which the director of Walk in Love has rented enabling 7 of the workers from the centre to sell items, thus increasing their income. Hopefully it will be self funding within the next few months. The shop will be up and running shortly. Thank you Mama Amina, she has been helped and in return is helping others.
A very special lady has donated money to have the outside toilet refurbished-much needed. It is now tiled, has a pipe to take away the smell and has a new porcelain liner, much to the joy of the children and workers. Thank you VSL. With the money left over I bought mosquito nets for the bunk beds and the bunk cots, a bucket for the changing area and 2 pairs of trainers for 2 brothers who are very much in need. Another lady helping others. THANK YOU so very, very much

 
On Saturday Marie and I went to Tengeru market to buy things for her new room, she is renting a room near the centre and a 20 minute walk from work. the market was hectic but we got some bargains-mtumba (2nd hand) blanket, new plates and cutlery. Thank you JOAN HAMER-got to shout cos she's a bit mutton jeff-for the ££ to buy the items.Big problem, on returning home we realised that neither of us had our keys, Doh! My housemate, Inge, had gone out leaving us with a problem. The sun was shining so I went to the local duka, bought soap and set about washing the towels, sheets and blanket in a bucket. After some hunting around, I saw my key on my bed, Marie managed to hook it with a stick and we got into the house. Lessons learned 1) Always check that I have my key 2) leave my room more secure 3) Leave a spare key with a friend
This has been a great week for women helping women, some local, others thousands of miles away. This is very much what Walk in love is all about
Until next time, I'm off to work but not before I check that I have my key x

No comments:

Post a Comment